The Chipoudie Acadian monument in Riverside-Albert, NB, honours the Acadian families who lived in the area from 1700 to 1775. They numbered 422 settlers when they were displaced. During the time that the Acadians were in this region, they lived near marshes and the whole area was called Chipoudie. Within that large community, small hamlets were usually named after the predominant family or head of the family of the hamlet (e.g., Village des Savoie, Village des Thibodeau, etc.).
|Connecting Albert County||
culture and heritage