Potential benefits of yoga include:
- Reduction of hypertension and high blood pressure by giving people new tools for responding to stress and increasing their relaxation response. In many studies, yoga poses in combination with breath practices, meditation and dietary changes resulted in participants being able to reduce their medications.
- Reduction of anxiety and depression, while boosting mood. Yoga has been shown to increase the release of the brain chemical GABA which calms the nervous system, moving people out of the “fight or flight” stress response into the calm, clear “rest and digest” response.
- Sharpens the mind. Syncing the breath and movement, while incorporating relaxation techniques and meditation, creates more calm and clear thinking.
- Increases joint stability and balance which can help prevent falls, a leading cause of injury in seniors.
- Reduce the symptoms of arthritis.
- Weight-bearing postures of yoga can help to strengthen bones reducing the effects of osteoporosis.
- Breathing exercises and the linking of breath and movement improves lung function.
This program will be made accessible to people in wheelchairs or using walkers.
To register please contact Kim Beers by April 19th at 875-1190 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org