We asked the readers of Connecting Albert County what they would like to ask the candidates, and we have picked these two questions from the ones we received.
- COVID has shown us the value of supporting local. What might you do to help attract, encourage or support new businesses in our communities?
- What can be done to meet the needs of seniors in our community?
The two candidates, Bob Rochon and Jessica Durette have 200 words (in total) to answer the questions. We invited candidates to provide photographs and offered the opportunity to advertise. For each position, the responses are presented in the order in which they were received.
- The Covid-19 pandemic has been difficult on everyone, including the business community. They have adapted to the current situation therefore, as a community, we need to do what we can to support them. If elected, I will encourage village purchases to be made from local suppliers, whenever possible. I will also encourage the development of a multi-year plan, complete with strategies, aimed at attracting invest- ment and revitalizing our business sector. This will be done through input from existing business owners and with other stakeholders. Lastly, I will advocate for strong “support local business” messaging in our community.
- As the emergency measures coordinator for Hillsborough, I have been in regular contact with seniors to convey accurate New Brunswick Public Health Covid-19 information. I have also been in contact with a senior representative to learn more about their specific concerns. They have many, including wanting to be treated equitably by government and compassionately, in difficult times. As a community, we should and can do better by listening to their concerns and by improving how we communicate information to them. For this reason, I will advocate for different methods of communication with seniors and the development of a citizens’ advisory committee.
- I think the focus right now needs to be local tourism. Hillsborough has an amazing trail system and is almost a hidden gem to the people of the GMA and southern NB. We need to make Hillsborough THE destination and not a stop on the way to Fundy. A person can get in a great day of hiking, biking, coffee, lunch and farmers markets in a short 20-minute drive from the city. I’m also very big on shopping local, so encouraging people to shop local for everyday items, gifts etc. is very important in our small community economy.
- I have heard from seniors that some of their concerns include local medical care, affordable housing and transportation to goods and services. Tele-drive Albert County has done an amazing job helping our seniors over the years, and our village must continue to support them. Most importantly seniors need to be heard, I am not the expert on seniors' needs in the community, but I do want to know people's struggles and try and find ways to help. I’d love to have a conversation and find out what people think, and if they have any ideas or suggestions.